For at least a generation now, the predominant thinking in most of the pastoral training I’ve received has gone like this:
- Do whatever is needed to attract a crowd
- Use the opportunity to preach the gospel in a compelling way
- Know that a significant percentage of the crowd won’t come back, but…
- If the crowd is big enough, the small percent who stay will be enough to grow your church
- Those who stay can be discipled
I used to believe that method was the best way to build a strong church. I’m finding it harder to believe with every passing day.